FROM ETROPOLE TO VIDIN
The road to the northwest passes through the ancient city of Orchanie, which was named Botevgrad in honor of the poet and apostle of freedom Christ Botev. The day after Botew's death, the Turks and their heads caught the rebels from his Cheta, wbite na pal, they set up on the market in Orchan.
The Czerepiszki Monastery on the Iskyr River was built in the 14th century. After the Turkish attack, it was rebuilt in the 16th and 19th centuries. In the valley you can see the remains of Roman defensive walls. The monastery collections include the foundation act of the monastery from the 14th century. and the gospel in a richly decorated cover, valuable books, moreover, old weapons and utensils. There are carved wooden figures in the church, carved iconostasis and beautiful old icons. The Sedemte Prestoła monastery is located in the nearby village of Osenowłag (seven thrones).
On the site of the former Thracian settlement (a Thracian tomb was found) The Romans built a stronghold near huge steep rocks, additional natural protection. W VII w. a city arose around the stronghold. The Slavs called them Wratica. The Tsars of the Second Bulgarian State also built a strong fortress (fragments of it have survived). In the Turkish clock tower from the 17th century. the Municipal Museum was established, and in the 15th-century four-sided tower the Archaeological Museum, storing valuable finds from different eras. There is also a 19th-century church in the city. The vicinity of Wracy is a paradise for mountaineers and speleologists.
There is a statue of Christ Botev in the square, who died 2 June 1876 r. on the Okołczica hill. His friend and comrade-in-arms Mikołaj Wojnowski then traveled from 40 insurgents along the Tetewen range to Trojanska Planina, where he also fell.
The balneological spa of Wyrszec is located among the beech forests and mountain serpentines. The waters of mineral springs with a temperature of 32-36 ° C cure diseases of the vascular system.
And the Romans in the 4th century. they built baths here. From the neighboring village of Byrzija, a trail leads to the peak of Kom (2016 m).
It is situated in a valley surrounded by the Stara Planina ranges, the slopes of which are covered with beautiful chestnut forests. It is a frequented summer resort and climatic health resort. Since it has existed, defended the Petrochan Pass, the only possible crossing on the route from Danube to Serdika-Sredca – Sofia. The city developed in the 12th and 13th centuries. The Berkivans went down in history as a brave people who valued freedom. It was they who called for liberation uprisings.
There is a Turkish clock tower in the square (1762 r.), in the church of St.. Theotokos are old icons and iconostasis, you can also see the collections of the Art Gallery and the Ethnographic Museum.
For almost half a century, this beautiful city on the Ogosta River was called Mikhailovgrad. Each, who stayed here longer, he called them his own: The Romans liked Castra Montanesium (town of highlanders), and the Slavs came for them, who built the city anew after the Hun invasion, they preferred Kutłowice.
The ruins of the fortress of Montana and fragments of the Temple of Apollo and Diana remain from the Roman times. An ancient burial ground was also discovered.
About the victory of the Polish king, who beat the Turks at Vienna, the Chipovicans told each other, making insurgent plans with the support of monks. Their insurgency ended with the bloodiest repressions. The ashes of the murdered rest in the cemetery near the Cheprovsky Monastery. The monastery was built in the 15th century. There are beautiful murals and carved figures of saints.
The Romans mined copper, while in the 15th and 17th centuries. iron was melted in the smelters, lead and silver.
The magnificent reddish and yellow Beło-gradchiszki Skala is a capricious creation of a nature sorceress, who turned animals into stone here, wanderers, monks, kids, women, trees… The Romans used the rocks of this area to create a stronghold, to defend the trail from Rataria (Arczar) of Nissus (Niche). The Turks did the same in the 19th century., when it was necessary to guard the Ottoman Empire, only that earlier they destroyed the church, which had already existed here since the 13th century. settlement. And to the glory of the prophet, they built the mighty fortress of Kaleto. She was useful to them, when they massacred the Bulgarian insurgents of 1850 r. However, the fortress was captured by the brave Romanians in 1878 r. during the Russo-Turkish War.
The famous Magura cave is nearby.